We are very excited to announce that our much anticipated Linphone 4.2 version for desktop platforms is now available!
This new version provides significant improvements in audio and video quality. This is the first Linphone desktop version to use the innovative adaptive bit rate control algorithms that we have developed over the past years. Thanks to these algorithms, all Linphone editions (mobile and desktop) can now provide great video quality by adapting to the current network performance.
We have also made Linphone interoperable with web browsers. Now, you can do audio and video calls that can be launched from a browser. For example, Linphone can be used to allow website visitors to directly join your call center or hotline by clicking on a button that is displayed on a web page. With a simple click, you can launch the app, and start the call.
Use our demo web page to test this feature and find more technical information on our Wiki about how to use Linphone in command line with URI handlers.
Developed with Qt 5.12 framework (QML), Linphone 4.2 is available on GNU/Linux, Windows, and macOS.
Among the new features you can enjoy are:
- More efficient echo cancellation
- More ergonomic interface for switching between SIP accounts and display the corresponding timeline and history events
- H264 video codec available on Windows and Linux thanks to downloadable OpenH264 binary
- 4K screens support
- Runtime detection of Bluetooth/USB audio/video peripherals, such as headsets or speakers
- Display of missed calls and unread messages count in the timeline and on the app icon
- Set the gains on mic during a call
- New logo and icons
- New deployment for Linux (AppImage) for easier installation on most Linux distributions
We have also worked on improving the stability of our desktop app.
You can read the complete list of new and modified features and fixed issues on the changelog file of linphone-desktop project.
Among the features we are still considering are group chat, video conferencing, screen sharing and many more.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you want to know more about our development roadmap or if you wish to speed up the development of a feature by contributing to its funding.
HOW CAN I INTEGRATE LINPHONE 4.2 IN MY DESKTOP VOIP APP?
Linphone and Liblinphone VoIP engine SDK are distributed open source under the GNU/GPLv3 license, or under a proprietary license with commercial agreement. We offer annual support contracts for troubleshooting, development assistance, and rebranding services.
Do not hesitate to contact us by filling in our online contact form if you want to talk about your VoIP project and see how Belledonne Communications can help you.